The Manual Construction action is used when a rule is too complex to be automatically generated and will be written manually in Construct.
NOTE: When a mapping with an action of Manual Construction is saved, the Instruction field on the Vertical View of the Field Mappings page for the mapping indicates that the rule requires development. The Rule Name field displays “Developer must create the rule.”
NOTE: A mapping with a Manual Construction action cannot be saved unless the fields SOURCE TABLE, SOURCE FIELD, DEFAULT VALUE, and RULE SQL on the Horizontal View are blank and the Target Relationship ID field on the Vertical View is empty on the Field Mappings page.
To create a field mapping using the Manual Construction action on the Field Mappings page:
- Select ProcessArea in the Navigation pane.
- Click the Targetsicon on the Process Area Launch page.
- Click the Mappings icon for a Target.
- Select the field to be mapped.
- Select Manual Construction from the ACTION list box.
- Enter Mapper's notes in the RULES COMMENT field.
- Enter as much technical information available for the developer to build the rule.
- Click Save.
- Click the Submit icon on the Page toolbar.
The mapping must be approved by a Developer on the Mapping Approval page for documentation purposes and to help track progress of the data migration project. Refer to Approve or Reject Mappings and Assign Developers to a Target or Source for more information.
Once the mapping has been submitted, the Action, Source Table, Source Field and Default Value fields do not allow updates until one of the following events occurs:
- The Developer clicks Reject on the Mapping Approval page.
- The Mapper clicks Reset on the Field Mappings page.
NOTE: When a user clicks Reset, Mapping By, Submitted By, Created By and Approved By field will be reset to NULL values. The Rejected By field does not update and contains the user ID of the Developer who rejected the mapping on the Mapping Approval page. The Mapper can contact the Developer with any questions.
Once the fields allow update, edit them, click Save, and click the Submit icon on the Page toolbar. This updated mapping is sent to the Developer for review on the Mapping Approval page.