Enable Role Validations
These validations are set to run by default, but can be configured at the global role level on the Parameters page, or at the template level on the Templates page’s Vertical View on the Advanced tab.
Custom role validations can also be added on the Template (Role Validations) page. Refer to Add Validations to Roles for more information.
The Validate button automatically displays on the Request (Roles) page for the Data role and the Review role if:
- A list box, check box, or required column exists on the Data Entry page and the corresponding check box to run the validation is checked on the Parameters page
- The Review role has the appropriate column properties set to display the list box, check box, or required column
- A validation has been added to the role on the Template (Role Validations) page
A template is not required to have any validations. In this case, the Validate button is hidden on the Request (Roles) page.
If a user clicks Validate on the Request (Roles) page and there are validation errors, a message displays. What happens next depends on how the Prevent Finish Severity option is configured at the role level. When an option is selected in the Prevent Finish Severity list box, Mass Maintenance prevents a role from finishing if, during processing, a validation fails that matches the selected or higher severity level. Values are:
- Error – Marks the role status as invalid until the error is corrected and the Validation Rule passes.
NOTE: All role validations that are enabled on this page and on the Templatepage’s Vertical View on the Advanced tab fail with a severity of Error. Custom role validations can be configured to fail with other severity levels. Refer to Add Validations to Roles for more information.
- Message – Marks the role status as valid but a message displays.
- Warning – Displays a message but the user can proceed with the task even if the validation fails.
If a Prevent Finish Severity option is not selected, a warning displays if there is a validation error, but the role can be finished.
Validation messages can be customized. Refer to Update Validation Messages for more information.
To enable role validations at the global level:
- Select Configuration > Parameters on the Navigation pane.
- Click the Template tab.
Click the Enable List Box Validation check box to enable it.
NOTE: If checked, values entered on data entry pages that have list or combo boxes will be validated to ensure that values in the columns are contained in the list boxes assigned to the data entry pages. The validation takes List Unique (if a list box does not allows a user to add values) and List Allow Insert (if a list box does allow a user to add values) into account. Records that fail this validation will fail with a severity of Error.
Click the Enable Check Box Validation check box to enable it.
NOTE: If checked, values entered on data entry pages that have a Check Box column property defined will be validated to ensure that the values in the table correspond to the proper check box format set on the column property. Records that fail this validation will fail with a severity of Error.
Click the Enable Required Validation check box to enable it.
NOTE: If checked, values entered on data entry pages for Required fields with a data type of nvarchar are validated to ensure that all required columns have values entered. Records with blank required fields fail with a severity of Error.
NOTE: Validations are not run on required fields with data types other than nvarchar.
To enable role validations at the template level:
- Click Team in the Navigation pane.
- Click Templates for a team.
- Click Vertical View for a template.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Continue with step 3 above.