Set Up and Configuration for Reporting and Metrics Agent
The Reporting and Metrics Agent is a Windows service that securely communicates with the Knowledge Platform allowing migration metrics data to display on dashboards.
NOTE: Outgoing firewall policies must allow the service to initiate a connection to onprem.syniti.com:443.
NOTE: To install and configure the Reporting and Metrics Agent, you must have administrative rights on the server where the Reporting and Metrics Agent will be installed.
NOTE: Please open a Support ticket for assistance in presenting Stewardship Tier data in your custom dashboards.
- Syniti Solutions Stewardship Tier 7.2.0 or later must be installed.
- Outbound traffic the following domain must be permitted so that the Reporting and Metrics Agent can communicate with the cloud:
NOTE: The standard deployment configuration requires the Reporting and Metrics Agent to be installed on the same server as the Stewardship Tier. For alternative configurations please contact Syniti Support for assistance.
System Requirements for the Reporting and Metrics Agent
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
The Reporting and Metrics Agent transfers reporting-relevant data from the Stewardship Tier to the Knowledge Platform. This agent is installed with the Syniti Solutions, which allows the dashboard to be accessed through the Knowledge Platform.
To link the Syniti Solutions instance to the Knowledge Platform tenant:
NOTE: To register the site, you must have the Admin role.
To create the Knowledge Platform reporting site, in the Knowledge Platform:
Click the Sites in the Admin menu.
Click the Register Site button.
Enter a name for the site in the Name field.
Enter the connection in the URL Connection field.
NOTE: Only SQL connections in the following format are allowed:
NOTE: The connection information is the same information that the Stewardship Tier WebApp is configured to use for connecting to the database. This address is relative to the Stewardship Tier WebApp server because in most cases, the Stewardship Tier database is only exposed to a local network. The address could be an internal hostname or an RFC 1918 address so long as the Stewardship Tier WebApp machine can resolve the name and connect to it.
NOTE: The Stewardship Tier database may or may not be on the same machine as the Stewardship Tier WebApp, which is where the Reporting and Metrics Agent runs to collect the data.
NOTE: If you need to customize the URL or have been provided an agent connection URL by your database administrator, paste the URL directly into the Connection URL field. It’s important that the URL entered is encoded to ensure that unprintable characters or characters with special meaning are translated to values that are unambiguous and universally accepted by web browsers and servers.
Copy the API Key and UUID fields that display, as you will need to paste them in later in these steps.
Click the Use as a source for migration dashboard toggle to enable the site to be used as a source for the migration dashboard.
NOTE: When the site is disabled as a source for a migration dashboard, all data associated with the site is retained, but the dashboards are no longer updated.
Click Save to save your connection and hide your credentials.
To update the Reporting and Metric Agent configuration:
- Create a new text document and name it “config.json.” Make sure the file extension is “.json” and not “.txt.”
- Paste the API Key and UUID into the new config.json file.
- Move the config.json file to the C:\Windows\system32 \config\systemprofile\AppData\Virtyx\.virtyx folder on the Syniti Solutions application server. This folder was automatically created during the Stewardship Tier installation.
NOTE: This /.virtyx folder starts out empty. After starting the service, several .exe files are created in the folder automatically by the service.
Before the Reporting and Metrics Agent service can be started, the folder that contains the config.json file must be whitelisted.
NOTE: These steps are based on using Windows Defender and may vary depending on the version of Windows.
To add the Reporting and Metrics Agent folder as an excluded folder:
- Copy the following folder path: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Virtyx\.virtyx
Open Windows Defender and select Settings.
Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & threat protection in the Windows menu; the Windows Security menu opens. Under the Virus & threat protection settings heading, click the Manage settings link.
- Under the Exclusions heading, click the Add or remove exclusions link.
- Click the Add an Exclusion button and select the Folder option from the menu that displays.
- Paste the folder path into the search bar and click Enter to navigate to the folder.
- Click the Exclude this Folder button.
The Reporting and Metrics Agent, which internally is called the “Virtyx Agent,” is installed with the Syniti Solutions. It is not running upon installation; it needs the config.json file to start communicating with the Knowledge Platform. This service runs every 30 minutes.
To start the Reporting and Metrics Agent windows service:
- Open Windows Start Menu.
- Perform a search on “Services” and open the Services application from the results.
- Locate Virtyx Agent in the Services application.
- Right-click Virtyx Agent.
- Select Start.